Introduction - Household Goods Moving
Skip navigation.

Household Goods Moving - Introduction

The Surface Transportation Board (STB) has a limited role in overseeing the transportation of household goods by motor carrier (moving company). STB oversight applies only to interstate moves (those crossing state lines), and not to intrastate moves (those occurring within a single state). If you have a question about an intrastate move, please contact your state’s Office of Consumer Affairs; Public Utility Commission; Department of Transportation; or Attorney General’s office.

The STB’s oversight includes:

For interstate moves, the STB’s Office of Public Assistance, Governmental Affairs and Compliance (OPAGAC) is available to provide informal guidance to moving companies and customers on the following subjects:

The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), within the U.S. Department of Transportation, has primary authority over interstate movers. The FMCSA oversees the following areas of the moving industry:

The STB strongly encourages customers to review the FMCSA’s booklet, “Your Rights and Responsibilities When You Move,” before choosing a mover. This guide can be found on the FMSCA’s “Protect Your Move” webpage:


Additional Resources: