Please note that the Surface Transportation Board does not receive or maintain any information on the entry to or exit from the U.S. for individuals or on Global Entry matters. Our agency is a small federal agency primarily responsible for the economic regulation of the U.S. domestic railroads. For individual travel matters, please try the following FOIA offices:
How To File a FOIA Request for STB Records
The Board uses FOIAonline to manage its FOIA requests. With FOIAonline you can submit FOIA requests online, track the status of requests, search for requests submitted to other Federal agencies using FOIAonline, and generate agency-specific FOIA reports.
- To file a FOIA request for records kept by the STB, please go to FOIAonline. Choose “Make a FOIA Request” and, using the drop down menu, select Surface Transportation Board.
If you wish to use another method to submit a FOIA request to the STB, please contact Chris Oehrle, FOIA Officer, at 202-245-0271 or email@example.com.
Please be aware that the Office of Government Information Services (OGIS) was created to offer mediation services to resolve disputes between FOIA requesters and Federal agencies as a non-exclusive alternative to litigation. Additional information about OGIS can be found here.
Are There Fees for FOIA Requests?
Yes. Under the FOIA, the Board is allowed to charge for our research and reproduction services, except under certain conditions. Your FOIA request should specify the amount of FOIA fees you are willing to pay. Here is a summary of the requester fee categories:
- Commercial use requesters will be assessed charges that recover the full direct costs associated with the search, review, and duplication of records.
- Educational institutions, representatives of the news media, and non-commercial scientific institution requesters must pay for duplication only and will not be charged for the first 100 pages.
- News media requesters, however, are entitled to a reduced assessment only when the request is for the purpose of disseminating information.
- The Commission will charge all other requesters who do not fit into any of the categories above fees which cover the full, reasonable direct cost of searching for and reproducing records that are responsive to the request, except that the first 100 pages of the reproduction and the first two hours of search time shall be free of charge.
- Although a minimum fee commitment of $25 is required, many requests are granted without cost to the requester.
- The more information you provide us, the better we can assist you.
- Please note that only PDF files will be accepted as attachments.
If you need assistance, you may contact the STB FOIA Officer at FOIA.Privacy@stb.gov.